Learning how to calculate percentages can be very useful in many scenarios. Whether you’re working with numbers in a practical setting or need to know for a math test, being able to quickly find the percentage of one number of another is a valuable skill. So, how do i find out what percentage one number is of another?
This guide will walk you through the process of finding a percentage, including an example, why you might need to calculate one, and some tips to make the process easier.
How to Calculate the Percentage One Number of Another
- To calculate the percentage of one number of another, you first need to determine what the “whole” would be. In other words, given the two numbers in question, what would 100% be?
- Once you have that figure, you can divide the first number by the whole and multiply by 100 to get your answer as a percentage.
- For example, let’s say that you want to find out what percentage 15 is of 30. In this case, the whole would be 30. 15 divided by 30 is 0.5, and when multiplied by 100, this gives you 50%. Therefore, 15 is 50% of 30.
Why You Might Need To Find a Percentage
There are several reasons why someone might want or need to know what percentage one number is of another.
- In some cases, it might be for personal knowledge. For example, if you’re trying to save money or stay within a budget, calculating percentages can help show you how close you are to your goal.
- In other cases, calculating percentages might be required for work or school. For instance, if you’re tracking sales data or progress on a project, knowing percentages can give you a quick way to see if things are on track or starting to fall behind.
Practical usage scenario
- It is often useful to know what percentage one number is of another. For example, suppose you are trying to lose weight, and you want to know what percentage of your current weight you have lost so far.
- Or suppose you are trying to save money for a new car, and you want to know what percentage of the total price you have saved so far. There are a few different ways to find out what percentage one number is of another.
One way is to use a calculator, and another way is to use a proportion.
Easy tips for calculating:
- First, take the number that you want to find the percentage of and divide it by the total number. For example, suppose you want to find out what percentage of 100 pounds your current weight of 80 pounds is. You would divide 80 by 100, which would give you 0.8.
- Next, multiply the answer from the previous step by 100. This will give you the percentage. In our example, if we multiply 0.8 by 100, we would get 80%. This means that our current weight of 80 pounds is 80% of 100 pounds.
Being able to calculate percentages quickly can be helpful in both personal and professional contexts. Hopefully, this guide has given you a clear understanding of how to find out what percentage one number is of another so that you can put this skill to use in your own life.